The Donald, our esteemed President, is having his share of challenges these days. I would like to suggest that were he a Southern Gentleman, certain things might not be happening:
- Instead of refusing to shake hands with our ally, Chancellor Angela Merkel at her request, a Southern Gentleman would not only shake her hand put perhaps also plant a gentlemanly kiss on it as well.
- No Southern gentleman would scotch tape the lower part of his red tie to the upper part of it for all to see when it flaps in the breeze.
- A Southern Gentleman might stretch the truth about the size of the fish he caught, the number of beers he can chug, or the length of a football pass. However, he would not do to far as to invent libelous accusations against his predecessor.
- When his wife exits the Presidential vehicle, a Southern Gentleman would open her door and escort her to her destination.
- A Southern Gentleman would not threaten to lock up his female opponent.
- A Southern Gentleman would not insult other world leaders who choose to take in refugees.
- A Southern Gentleman would show up at the local Meals on Wheels to help serve the poor (on the way to Mar-a-Lago)
- Instead of summoning Congressmen to the White House, a Southern Gentleman would visit the Capitol, drop in on offices, and do some glad-handing with Republicans and Democrats.
- A Southern Gentleman would summon his best good-ole-boy skills and sit down with the “Gang of Eight” to negotiate a Health Care Plan that meets the needs of our citizens at highest risk.
- A Southern Gentleman would close his Twitter account, order some elegant manly stationery from Neiman Marcus, and write some thank you notes to key people
- A true Southern Gentleman is a self-actualized individual who can say, “I am sorry or I made a mistake.” He knows that children are watching and listening.